When I was in Kindergarten my teacher asked me a question as we prepared for the end of the year…
Teacher: Shelley, What do you want to be when you grow up?
Teacher: Are you sure?
Not an astronaut, doctor, mail carrier, car salesman, mother…just happy.
I feel like I have tried a ton of sports, taken classes on a wide variety of subjects, tried my hand at different careers, done some pretty silly things, challenged myself, and leapt before looking along the way in search of finding my ‘happy’.
And as I sit here thinking of my journey so far, I keep thinking that I don’t take enough time to celebrate the now. It’s almost as if I stop to acknowledge where I am, I won’t keep pushing to find where I should be.
So today I will stop the excuses and getting down on myself about..
- Not blogging on here for almost a month.
- The gym that I haven’t used in almost 2 weeks.
- The laundry that is growing by the moment (I swear it is multiplying).
- The meals I didn’t make.
- What coulda, shoulda, woulda been.
And instead I will…
- Stop making excuses to escape my ‘To Do’ list and calendar.
- Stop comparing myself to others and celebrate success more. Even a baby step is forward motion!
- Start moving! Stagnant body, stagnant mind!
- Give my 100% all the time. No more phoning it in!
I know that this is going to be a process, and that at times this will be a struggle. But I am hoping that by writing this I will keep myself accountable when things get rough and I am feeling low.
I want to find my ‘happy’, and I know I will one day.
So I am going to keep my head up, eyes forward, and a song in my heart.